Tuesday, June 19, 2007

YAHWEH NEVER FAILS.. H1-B APPROVED!

Even after getting the offer, I learned that my offer of employment was contingent upon my employer successfully obtaining the highly coveted h1-b U.S. work permit. It was rough. I heard that on the first day of applications, Monday April 1st, the USCIS received as much as 150,000 applications, way beyond the 65,000 permits available, just on the first day of applications.

Things got so bad that the U.S. government had to stop receiving applications on April 3rd, less than 24 hours after the application process began, and they just rejected all the applications that didn't come in between Monday April 2nd, and Tuesday the 3rd. I called the immigration reps in HR and they politely told me that at this stage they had no control over the Visa allotment process, and even the premium processing service was really of no value added because a random computer program was going to RANDOMLY select the 65,000 h1-b recipients out of the 150,000 plus applications that made it in before Tuesday evening.

Also, since I got my offer a little late in the recruiting cycle I was put at the back of a h1-b backlog of applications, so I wasn't even sure if HR sent my application in on time.

After all my experiences with a string of countless rejections, blood, sweat, and tears, for the first time, in my mind, I virtually conquered my fears, knowing that failure to receive the h1b permit would strengthen me in Christ, but that a victory would only give me a humbled opportunity to proclaim His divine majesty and supremacy that affects us all even inside lifeless computers which in this case randomly selected the recipients.

To cut a long story short, My God once again delivered me and I just heard word that I was successfully selected by the random computer system, and that I should expect my h1-b permit pretty soon. After a 4 month wait....what a relief!

Of course, I'm in awe, and I'm still perplexed writing this final post. While I pray for everyone else still waiting, and fighting for the right to work in America, the least I can say is Trust in The Lord in Good times, and Bad times, because his power is made perfect at our lowest points. Trust Him, wait on Him, and pray that His will come to pass in your life.

I'm no saint, and if anything I'm one of the biggest sinners of all. I guess I underestimated God's mercy, and His Power once again. He just keeps surprising me. To God be the Glory, His Love Endures Forever, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey..i am an engineer too and am looking to move into the Analyst position, at a I-bank or a fund etc. I find myself at a loss, when I see my resume and there is no finance related activity. I don't have the luxury to meet these people in person, or go to sessions as (a) these don't happen where I live (b) i am one year out of college, so I wouldn't know even if they are!

So my only option is sending resumes, and then following up, and for them to look at my resume, what kind of things can I include as a engineer to show them my passion for finance. If you could share the experts from your resume, or give a few hints that would be much appreciated.

Also, which department are you working at, I dont remember reading that. Again congratulations on getting the job and hope you are having fun.

Anonymous said...

I thank the good Lord for his blessing and I hope you get into IB. As this is a public forum, I regret I can't give out personal information.

On the resume side of things, have you tried getting into conferences and career fairs? Why not look into hispanic and minority MBA career fairs and give it a shot. Say a prayer and be confident..you have nothing to loose.

You must prepare on your own though. Read the WSJ, finance books to know the WACC and other accounting basics cold, because getting the interview is the first step.

Try the NBMBAA career fair in Orlando. Say a prayer and be confident..that should generate a few leads...

Goodluck